Who wouldn’t want improved air quality and lower energy consumption? Certainly, home owners want a more breathable environment and a HVAC system that lasts for years.
A simple way to help achieve both is through the simple Air Filter Change. HVAC experts estimate that a clean furnace filter will reduce energy costs by 5 to 15 percent. A clean filter preserves the life of furnace parts, too, and more easily traps the dirt, dust, pollen, mold and mildew spores, bacteria and pet dander that float around in household air.
Do you need to know a lot to do a Air Filter Change? The answer is no. You must, however, look at your current filter to determine what size to buy and to see how it should be inserted into the unit. You might want to check the owner’s manual for this information. A trip to the home or hardware store can educate you on filter costs and availability.
You should also know something about air filter materials. There are several types, each with different costs and efficiencies:
1. Fiberglass. This common filter type is also the cheapest. It does its job well as long as it is changed frequently.
2. Pleated. This filter has plenty of surface area to trap particles floating in the air.
3. Media air. The choice of HVAC professionals, the media air filter is sturdy, affordable and efficient. Many consumers are not familiar with it, however.
4. HEPA. The initials stand for High Efficiency Particulate Air filter. Use this type to catch a high amount of dander, mold spores, dust mites, dirt, dust and pollen. People with respiratory diseases such as asthma love this filter for its great air quality.
5. Activated Carbon. It contains charcoal and takes care of strong household odors from smoking, cooking, animals and other sources. It does not handle particulates as well as other filters.
Professional HVAC Contractors
So, an Air Filter Change is relatively easy but goes a long way to keep home and HVAC healthy. Call our office today to schedule a maintenance check-up on all your heating and air conditioning systems.