As a homeowner, you want to ensure that your HVAC system is installed correctly and running efficiently. Poorly installed HVAC systems can drain your wallet and put your family’s comfort at risk. To ensure your HVAC system is installed correctly and running smoothly, it’s important to avoid common HVAC installation mistakes.
AirMaxx has compiled a list of the top common HVAC installation mistakes to avoid as a homeowner, so you can get the best performance out of your system.
Not Doing Research on the Right HVAC System for Your Home
When choosing the right HVAC system for your home, many homeowners forget to do their research and end up with the wrong size, type, and HVAC installation. It is important to research the different systems available to ensure you get the best possible system for your needs.
When researching an HVAC system, consider the following:
- The size of your home: Depending on your home, you will need a certain size and type of HVAC system.
- The climate you live in: Depending on the climate in your area, some HVAC systems may be more suitable than others.
- Your budget: Make sure you are aware of the costs associated with installing an HVAC system before making any decisions.
- Energy efficiency: When selecting an HVAC system, look at the energy efficiency ratings to ensure you get a system that will reduce your energy costs.
- Maintenance requirements: It is important to know what maintenance is needed to keep your HVAC system running optimally.
A professional HVAC installer from Airmaxx can help guide you through this process and provide valuable insight into the options available.
Not Considering Ductwork
When it comes to HVAC installation, ductwork is just as important as the equipment. Poorly designed ductwork can cause a huge loss of efficiency, leading to higher bills and HVAC repair costs. It’s essential to ensure that your HVAC installer takes the time to thoroughly inspect your home’s ductwork before installing any new system.
Your HVAC installer should assess the condition of your existing ductwork and design a system that meets your needs. It’s important to ensure that your HVAC installer has experience working with ductwork to ensure that it is designed properly. Taking these steps will help you ensure that you get the most out of your HVAC system and avoid costly repairs down the line.
Ignoring the Importance of Proper Insulation
One of the most common HVAC installation mistakes to avoid as a homeowner is ignoring the importance of proper insulation. Installing an HVAC system without considering insulation can lead to major problems, including reduced system efficiency and energy costs.
When planning your HVAC system, it’s important to understand the role insulation plays in keeping your home comfortable and energy efficient. Insulation helps prevent cold air from entering your home in the winter and warm air from entering summer. This keeps temperatures stable, reduces energy costs, and increases the efficiency of your HVAC system.
Additionally, consider sealing any cracks and gaps around windows and doors with weatherstripping or caulk to improve insulation and reduce air leaks.
Not Scheduling Regular HVAC Maintenance Checks. Skipping regular HVAC maintenance can lead to costly repairs in the long run. Also, it shortens the lifespan of your HVAC system.
To be sure your HVAC system is running optimally, it is important to schedule a HVAC maintenance check annually.
During a regular maintenance check, an HVAC contractor will:
- Check the thermostat
- Inspect and clean the evaporator coil
- Check and adjust blower components
- Check and lubricate motors
- Check refrigerant levels
- Inspect the condenser coil
- Check and clean the condensate drain
- Inspect the electric ignition and pilot operation
- Inspect the heat exchanger
Hiring Subprofessionals Installers
Hiring subprofessional HVAC installers is one of the most common and costly mistakes homeowners can make regarding HVAC installation. It may be tempting to go for the cheapest option; however, cutting corners on your HVAC installation could cost you more money in the long run. Subprofessional installers may not have the same experience or knowledge as professional installers, resulting in an inefficient system or even a dangerous installation.
A professional HVAC installer should be able to provide a complete heating and air conditioning inspection of your home’s current HVAC system, identify any issues or potential problems, and advise you on the best course of action. Certified professionals also understand the local regulations and codes, ensuring that your HVAC system is properly installed and compliant with local laws.
It’s also important to look into customer reviews and testimonials when choosing an HVAC installer.
Over-Using HVAC System
Using your HVAC system too often can lead to a host of problems, from frequent breakdowns to expensive heating and air conditioning repairs. If you are using your HVAC system more than necessary, consider replacing it with a newer, more efficient model. To prevent over-using your HVAC system, there are a few steps you can take:
- Check the temperature in your home. If it’s too cold or hot, adjust the thermostat accordingly.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat to help regulate temperatures in your home without constantly adjusting them manually.
- Have your HVAC system regularly serviced and maintained. This will help keep it running smoothly and efficiently and help prevent unnecessary breakdowns.
- Ensure your home is properly insulated, as this will help your HVAC system run more efficiently.
Avoid These Mistakes and Enjoy Your HVAC System
A properly installed and maintained HVAC system is key to comfortable and efficient living for homeowners. While most HVAC installation projects can go smoothly, a few common mistakes can be costly in the long run. Knowing what to look out for is the first step to avoiding these mistakes and enjoying a fully functioning HVAC system.
At AirMaxx, our experienced heating and air conditioning technicians have been providing top-notch HVAC installation and repair services since 1999. Our goal is to provide quality HVAC service at a fair price so our customers can enjoy comfortable temperatures throughout the year. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help keep your HVAC system in tip-top condition!